BA in Liberal Arts Admission Requirements

Minimum requirements to transfer into the Liberal Arts program are as follows:

  • Demonstrated competence in the writing of English as evidenced by one of the following:
    • Completion of English Composition II (ENGL 1120) with a grade of C (2.00) or higher 
    • A score of 29 or better on the English portion of the Enhanced ACT
    • A score of 700 or better on the verbal portion of the SAT
    • Credit for English 1120 through CEEB advanced placement program.
  • A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or higher.
  • LAIS 199 - Customized Curriculum: The Future of Degrees
  • Twenty-six or more hours of earned credit applicable to this program.

Application Process:

Application to the Liberal Arts program includes a preliminary advisement session with an LAIS Academic Advisor. The meeting is the student’s opportunity to discuss their ideas and goals for their degree, and ask any questions they may have before admission to the program.

Please note: The application process for a student pursuing the concentration in Global and National Security (GNS) is different. Students interested in this concentration should meet with Brian Vineyard (all ROTC students) or Ken Carpenter (non-ROTC students). For more information, visit this page.

In order to apply to the Liberal Arts program, students must:

  1. Meet with an LAIS Advisor. This will give you the opportunity to meet with someone to discuss the program and learn about resources that will help you with the rest of the application process.
  2. Design and submit a comprehensive Plan of Study. This Plan of Study must list all remaining courses that the student intends to take to complete their BA in Liberal Arts degree. In preparing a Plan, the student must consult The University of New Mexico Catalog to find courses appropriate for their theme-based plan.
  3. Write and submit a Statement of Purpose, no less than 250 words. This statement should describe how the student has organized courses in the Plan to meet their educational needs as well as exactly to what end the student hopes to use their Liberal Arts degree. Please include:
    1. What you plan to study (subject areas, themes, etc.);
    2. Why you are interested in these specific areas;
    3. How does your plan and the departments you have chosen come together in a meaningful way;
    4. How you plan to use your BA in Liberal Arts degree after graduation
  4. Submit a completed Qualified Signatures form:
    1. Professional Signature - Liberal Arts requires you to obtain the signature of an individual qualified to say that your Plan of Study will put you in a good position to get you where you want to go. The Qualified Signature helps to insure that the appropriate curricular choices have been made. For example: if you were headed to law school, UNM’s pre law advisor would be an excellent choice for a qualifying signature.
    2. Career Development Facilitator Signature - Liberal Arts requires you to meet with a UNM Career Development Facilitator (CDF). Career Development Facilitators are available to by appointments or a walk-in basis to assist you with choosing or changing your major, assessing abilities, interests and values, clarifying career goals, writing a resume or cover letter, preparing for interviews, conducting a job search, or preparing to attend graduate school. For more information about scheduling an appointment with a CDF, please visit the Career Services website.

Liberal Arts admission requirements must be completed and submitted by the third week of the semester. Liberal Arts residency will begin the semester of admission.

The degree will require:

  • A 2.0 cumulative GPA for admission to the major and graduation
  • A minimum of 120 credit hours, 51 of which must be upper division (numbered 300-499)
  • An approved Plan of Study
  • Entrance and graduation essays (250 and 500 words, respectively) describing the Plan of Study and graduation outcomes
  • A minimum of 15 residency credit hours in the Liberal Arts program
  • Liberal Arts may be declared as a dual or second degree and a minor may be declared, but is not required